Dedicated to helping consumers 800-219-3577

What Should I Do If My Landlord Is Violating My Rights?

If you have problems in your unit that are being ignored by your landlord, you should take action. At the Law Office of Paul Mankin, we work with clients who need assistance when their landlord is violating housing code or ignoring pervasive issues.

Before you contact an attorney, these are steps you should take:

  1. Document and take pictures. Write down in journal the date, time and note any evidence.
  2. Notify your landlord or property manager in writing. This can be done via email, letter or even text message. Just be sure your communication is tracked. If you communicate in person, write down who you spoke to and when.
  3. Call the local health dept to report violations. The California health department will investigate and should help fix the problem. Again, document who you contact and what is done.
  4. If necessary, get medical treatment. Always save your receipts and bills, even for simple treatments bought at a drug store.
  5. Call us to get consultation with a lawyer.

Get A Free Consultation

Don't ignore these problems. If you have questions or concerns and live in San Diego or Los Angeles, don't hesitate to contact our office.

Call us today at 800-654-9517 or contact us online.

We'll help you determine your best course of action. Whether you're dealing with insect infestations or have concerns about lead paint, it is important you have a lawyer working with you to represent your best interests. Our goal is to make your home habitable again.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.