Close X

What To Do If Your Landlord Will Not Fix Your Apartment

Posted by Paul Mankin | Jan 30, 2018 | 0 Comments

On behalf of Law Office of Paul Mankin posted in blog on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.

Renting an apartment comes with many benefits, such as community amenities, no property taxes and free maintenance. However, what if your landlord does not make repairs? What are you supposed to do?

The law allows you to withhold rent, deduct the cost of DIY repairs or abandon an uninhabitable living space. However, you must meet the requirements and follow the procedure correctly. Any mistakes can work against you and cause your landlord to begin the eviction process for nonpayment. It is better to take the following steps first instead.

Gather evidence of the problem

First, you must prove that the issue exists. Take pictures of the problem, such as mold or bedbugs, and any damage it has caused to the property and residents. Include evidence of the negative effects it has had on your health. Examples include paperwork for medical treatment and the ensuing bills. You can use this proof to show your landlord the severity of the issue and to build a case against him or her if the repairs do not happen. 

Document your maintenance requests

To back up your claim, you need to be able to show that you have asked your landlord to repair or replace whatever is causing the problem. Otherwise, your landlord can insist the blame lies with you for not notifying him or her. It is best to make a phone call and write a dated letter, which you should mail or deliver, and ask for a receipt of notification. Make sure that you are always respectful in your requests, too.

Report violations

If your health or safety is at risk, report the violation to the local health department for it to open an investigation. It may only take getting a third party involved for your landlord to stop ignoring your requests and make your housing inhabitable. 

Take legal action

If your landlord still refuses to provide you with the legal right to a clean and safe place, you can sue with the help of an attorney. A lawyer can also advise you on other remedies from the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

About the Author

Paul Mankin

Paul Mankin Attorney Location: California Phone: 800-654-9517 Fax: 323-207-3885 Email: Email Me Areas of Practice Debt Collection Defense


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Hold Your Landlord, Credit Agency, or Negligent Party Accountable

While financial compensation is a goal in many of the cases we handle, holding the parties who are responsible for your physical and financial safety accountable is just as important.


9.5 Lee Paul Mankin IV
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.