On behalf of Law Office of Paul Mankin posted in blog on Monday, March 5, 2018.
Is your apartment uninhabitable? California rental laws require apartments to suitable for humans to live in, free of hazards that put the safety and health of occupants at risk. Landlords are legally responsible for making rental units livable, conducting repairs throughout the rental term and maintaining the premises.
Is your landlord not holding up his or her end of the agreement? Here are some signs your apartment is uninhabitable.
One environmental hazard that may make your rental unit unlivable is mold. Mold may cause significant health problems, including:
- Cognitive problems
Mold appears in various places and may take various colors and smells. It may be present in paneling, fabric, ceiling tiles, paint, under floors or hidden behind walls. Mold may be green, black, white or gray. Some types of mold have a putrid scent while others may go unnoticed for a long time.
No one wants to live in an apartment with any pests, such as:
When any of these creepy crawly or furry friends are in an apartment, they can wreak havoc. Pest infestations can result in serious health issues. No one wants bugs crawling around or rodents leaving droppings everywhere.
3. Lead paint exposure
The paint in your apartment may be poisoning you. If your apartment contains any lead paint, you may breathe it in and deal with severe health problems. Symptoms of lead poisoning include difficulty with concentration, irritability, joint pain and abdominal pain. Lead poisoning is especially a concern if you have any children or pets. Kids and animals may swallow lead paint chips and suffer catastrophic consequences.
If you are dealing with any of these safety violations in your apartment, the good news is that the law protects you. Hold your landlord responsible. Talk to a consumer protection attorney about what you can do to make your apartment a livable environment.