On behalf of Law Office of Paul Mankin on Monday, June 4, 2018.
Lead paint is a serious health hazard. According to the EPA, millions of homes and buildings have harmful lead paint. If you live in an apartment built prior to 1978, you may suffer from lead paint exposure.
Inhaling lead dust or ingesting lead paint chips may result in severe health complications. This is especially a concern if you have young children. Here are some warning signs you may be living in an apartment with lead paint.
Signs of lead paint
If your apartment is older, you should immediately determine whether it has lead paint. The walls or woodwork in your apartment may be detrimental to your health. Even if the original lead paint was painted over, there may still be a risk. If the fresher coat of paint starts to chip, crack or peel, you may suffer from lead poisoning.
Symptoms in adults
Some signs of lead poisoning in adults include the following:
- Pain in joints and muscles
- Memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Abdominal pain
- High blood pressure
- Mood disorders
If you have any of these symptoms, make sure you tell your doctor.
Symptoms in children
Lead poisoning is more serious in kids. Here are some of the most common symptoms:
- Learning difficulties
- Delay in development
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Fatigue and sluggishness
- Hearing loss
Of course, you should consult your pediatrician if you notice any problems with your children. If you see your kids eating paint chips, make sure you seek medical help for them.
Even tiny amounts of lead may have health consequences. If you rent, your landlord should notify you of any lead paint in the apartment. Your landlord should also do whatever it takes to protect you and your family from lead poisoning. If your landlord is negligent in notifying you about lead paint or failing to mitigate the risks, you may be able to file a lawsuit against him or her.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment