Close X

How to Fix Inaccurate Information on Your Credit Report

Finding inaccurate information on your credit report can be upsetting, but it does not have to be difficult to fix, and oftentimes can be done so relatively painlessly in less time than you might think.

Fixing Inaccurate Information Online

All three national credit reporting agencies allow consumers to dispute inaccurate information using their online systems. To submit a dispute, you will need to set up an account and provide your personal information, including your name, address, birth date, and social security number. You may also need to provide your cellular number and enter a confirmation code sent to it in order to verify your identity. Once you have an account with the credit reporting agency, you can submit your dispute by filling in their form which will ask you for the information that is inaccurate, the correct information, and allow you to upload any documentation you have to support your contention that the information is incorrect. Documentation to support your claim may include:

  • Divorce or Dissolution Decrees or Settlement Agreements
  • Receipts, bank statement, or returned checks showing payments made
  • Affidavits of third parties
  • Letters from the creditor or debt collector
  • Copies of current or previous bills
  • Identity theft reports from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
  • Bankruptcy discharge orders and schedules
  • Certified Driver's Records showing all previous addresses

Just think about what you are trying to prove is wrong and what documentation could help you do so. Before submitting your dispute, scan your documents and have them available in pdf format to upload along with your dispute.

You must dispute inaccurate information with each agency that lists the information on your report. Online dispute systems for each of the three credit reporting agencies can be found at: Equifax, TransUnion, Experian

Dispute Inaccurate Information by Mail

If you are uncomfortable using the online dispute systems you may always file a dispute by mail. Each of the three credit reporting agencies has a process for this, some provide a dispute form that you can print and use and others request that you send a letter outlining your dispute and providing other requested information. Information that must be provided to all three agencies with your dispute includes:

  • Your full name and current address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your social security number
  • Your telephone number
  • The information you are disputing, including the company name and address
  • Any supporting documentation, such as that listed above

You may also be required to provide additional information or documentation such as:

  • A copy of your state issued identification
  • Previous addresses for the last two years
  • A copy of your current utility bill or mortgage or bank statement
  • A copy of your social security card or current paystub with your fill social on it

You must dispute inaccurate information with each agency that lists the information on your report. Instructions for submitting disputes by mail for each of the three credit reporting agencies can be found by clicking the link for the agency with whom you wish to file the dispute: Equifax, Experian, TransUnion.

If your credit report contains inaccurate information and you are unable to correct it, feel free to contact our office at 1-800-219-3577, for a free, no obligation consultation. 

Hold Your Landlord, Credit Agency, or Negligent Party Accountable

While financial compensation is a goal in many of the cases we handle, holding the parties who are responsible for your physical and financial safety accountable is just as important.


9.5 Lee Paul Mankin IV
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.