General Service Bureau Inc. is a debt collection agency located in Omaha, Nebraska. It has been in business since 1946 and collects for healthcare providers across the country.
10303 Crown Point Ave # 210
Omaha, NE 68134-1061
Phone: (402) 255-5025
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) reports 20 consumer complaints filed against General Service Bureau Inc. in the last three years. While the collection agency responds to all complaints filed with the BBB, its response is always the same; federal law prohibits them from discussing any details of an account without authorization of the account holder, it will not publicly reply to the complaint and will instead contact the consumer directly. Some of the complaints filed against General Service Bureau Inc. allege that the collection agency:
- Fails to identify themselves when making calls or receiving return calls
- Allows consumers phones to ring continuously, but never leaves a message and hangs up if the call is answered (this is a common complaint)
- Refuses to provide debt verification information
- Calls consumers at their places of employment
- Uses abusive language in an attempt to collect a debt
- Threatens to sue consumers or “contact the courts”
These are all violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) which prohibits debt collectors from using unfair, abusive, or deceptive practices in order to collect on a debt. The Act specifically prohibits practices such as:
- Refusing to provide a consumer with verification of a debt it is attempting to collect
- Threatening to take action they do not intend to take
- Making telephone calls without properly identifying themselves
- Allowing a consumers phone to ring continuously in an attempt to annoy them
- Calling consumers at their place of employment when they have reason to believe the employer does not allow such calls
- Using abusive language
This is not an all inclusive list of the practices that are prohibited by the FDCPA. Any harassing, deceptive, or abusive practice employed by a debt collection agency may violate the Act, and may also violate other state or federal consumer protection laws.
If you believe that General Service Bureau Inc. is using unfair, deceptive, or abusive practices in order to collect a debt from you, it is time to hold them accountable for their actions. Please contact our office for a free, no obligation consultation at 1-800-219-3577.