Grant & Weber is a debt collection agency located in Calabasas, California. It has been in business since 1977 and provides debt collection services for healthcare providers across the country.
26610 Agoura Rd STE 210
Calabasas, CA 91302-3825
Phone: (818) 871-7700
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) report over 160 complaints filed by consumers against Grant & Weber since 2015. Complaints on the two websites allege that the collection agency:
- Used abusive language when attempting to collect on a debt
- Refused to provide consumers with debt validation information
- Used profane or obscene language
- Attempted to collect the wrong amount on a debt
- Reported false information to the credit reporting agencies
- Attempted to collect fees or charges not authorized by the original contract
- Falsely implied they were an attorney or calling on behalf of an attorney
- Threatened consumers with actions they could not legally take or did not intend to take
- Contacted consumers after being told to stop contacting them
These collection practices violate the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Other practices specifically prohibited by the Act include:
- Calling a consumer before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- Falsely implying that a consumer can be arrested for not paying a bill
- Advertising a debt for sale in order to coerce payment from the debtor
- Threatening to take action that is not legal or intended
- Using or threatening to use violence to collect on a debt
- Falsely indicating that they are law enforcement official or affiliated with a government agency
Many of the consumers who filed online complaints allege that the medical bill Grant & Weber are attempting to collect on should have been paid by their health insurance company. If you are being harassed about a medical bill your insurance company should have paid, see our blog post, I am Being Harassed by a Debt Collector and My Insurance Should Have Paid for more information about why this happens and what you can do to stop the collection attempts.