Do you have a David’s Bridal credit card that is past due on payments? Are you receiving phone calls and being treated poorly by debt collectors? Even if you owe creditors money, you have a right to be treated with respect. You can stop the calls and get your life back.
Your David’s Bridal credit card account is owned by Comenity Capital Bank. If you fall behind on payments, they will call to try and collect that debt. They often use illegal harassment and scare tactics. Attorney Paul Mankin can help you make it stop. Call Law Office of Paul Mankin, APC at 800-219-3577.
Who Is David’s Bridal?
David’s Bridal is one of the largest bridal stores in the United States. They specialize in pageant dresses, prom gowns, wedding dresses, formal wear, and accessories. They also partner with in-house alterations individuals who can create a unique fit for every dress.
David’s Bridal was founded in 1950 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Its headquarters are currently located in Pennsylvania. There are more than 300 David’s Bridal stores in 49 U.S. states, the United Kingdom, and Canada.
David’s Bridal offers a Diamond Loyalty Program for consumers that promotes the ability to earn a free honeymoon as well as other benefits. Members save on Diamond Member exclusive items. They also earn one Diamond Point per $1 spent. The points can be used to get “free” gifts. Family and friends can also shop with an individual’s Diamond number.
There are various levels of earnings for Diamond Loyalty Members. At the Shimmer Level, members will have earned 3,000 points, and they can get a tote bag of goodies, art prints from Shutterfly, and other gifts. At the Shine Level, or 4,000 points earned, individuals can get a photo book from Shutterfly and a $200 gift card from Lily & Lime. At the Sparkle Level with 5,000 points earned, individuals can get a “free” honeymoon, getaway, or adventure. There are, obviously, terms and conditions that apply to all of the “free” gifts offered to Diamond Loyalty Members at David’s Bridal.
What To Do When Comenity Bank Calls About Your David’s Bridal Credit Card
Although you use your credit card at David’s Bridal, the account is actually owned and managed by Comenity Capital Bank. If you fall behind on payments, they will call you to try to recover the debt. They may also hire a third-party collection agency to make those calls. If they are not successful in getting money from you, Comenity Bank may sell your debt to a third party. Any of those entities may call and harass you to get money from you.
You can either ignore the communication and suffer the stress of constant calls or stand up and take action. Some things you can do if you’re receiving harassing calls about your David’s Bridal credit card include:
- Remain calm and don’t get overly emotional when the creditor calls you.
- Be cautious with your words.
- Listen to everything the debt collector says.
- Take the name of the person on the phone and get a call back number.
- Take notes and tell them you will record the phone call as well.
- Demand that the debt collector stop calling you at home, work, and elsewhere.
- Do not give them permission to contact your friends and family.
- Never make a promise to pay or accept an agreement over the phone.
The most important thing you can do if you are contacted by a debt collector is contact a consumer rights lawyer. Attorney Paul Mankin knows that Comenity Bank and others harass debtors like you. Call him at 800-219-3577 to schedule a consultation of your case.
What Happens When Creditors Harass Consumers?
Comenity Capital Bank and their third-party debt collectors are known to harass consumers like you. They often violate state and federal laws like the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and California’s Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (RFDCPA).
Some actions Comenity Bank and others take that violates consumer rights include:
- Using obscene or abusive language towards debtors
- Threatening violence or a lawsuit when they don’t intend to file one
- Calling repeatedly when you tell them to stop
- Calling extremely early or late (before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.)
- Discussing debt with unauthorized parties like family, friends, and co-workers
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) states that it receives more than 200,000 complaints annually about creditors harassing debtors.
State and Federal Consumer Protection Laws
Consumer protection laws are in place to ensure creditors respect the rights of debtors. However, debt collectors frequently violate these state and federal laws, including:
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) – This federal law protects debtors against unfair debt collection practices. Violations should be reported to the FTC. Consumers may be able to get compensation for harassment by creditors.
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) – This federal law applies to marketers and creditor using telephones to contact consumers. It prohibits harassment via phone. It also allows the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to regulate the national Do-Not-Call List.
- Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (RFDCPA) – This is a California consumer protection law that forces creditors to act with fairness and honesty towards consumers. It allows for statutory compensation as well as emotional damages for creditor harassment.
How Much Is My David’s Bridal Credit Card Harassment Lawsuit Worth?
If you are harassed by a creditor, you may be able to get statutory compensation as well as emotional distress damages, depending on the laws that apply to your case. The exact value of your case depends on many factors, including:
- The legal violations of the creditors
- The number of violations by the creditors
- Your actual damages
Federal laws like the FDCPA allow for up to $1,000 in statutory damages as well as money for attorney fees and court costs. California’s RFDCPA allows you to get statutory compensation as well as damages for emotional distress that the creditors caused. In some cases, plaintiffs have received as much as $300,000 in compensation for mental anguish.
Contact a David’s Bridal Credit Card Harassment Lawyer Today
David’s Bridal and Comenity Bank often harass consumers who fall behind on payments. You may be unsure of what to do if you owe a debt and are being treated poorly. It’s important to know that you have rights, even if you are behind.
Attorney Paul Mankin can help you make the calls stop. Call Law Office of Paul Mankin, APC today at 800-219-3577 to schedule a case consultation.