Harris & Harris Ltd. is a debt collection agency located in Chicago, Illinois. The agency has been in business since 1968 and provides debt collection services to healthcare providers, utility companies, and government agencies.
111 W Jackson Blvd STE 400
Chicago, IL 60604-4135
Phone: (312) 251-2300
Since 2015, 95 complaints against Harris & Harris Ltd., have been filed with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). These complaints allege several Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) violations, a federal law that prohibits debt collectors from using unfair, abusive, and deceptive practices when attempting to collect on a debt. Violations include:
- Refusing to provide debt validation information
- Failing to inform consumers the call is an attempt to collect on a debt
- Reporting false credit information to the credit reporting bureaus
- Charging fees and interest not provided for in the original contract
- Harassing phone calls
- Attempting to collect the wrong amount
Many of the complaints also allege that the agency’s representatives are rude, hang up on consumers, ask for personal information, such as social security numbers before providing any information about why they are calling and who they are, and refuse to provide the consumer with any information about the debt, but simply demand immediate full payment. Many appear to be disputes with how health insurance companies and worker’s compensation boards handle billing and payments.
Consumers have also filed 192 complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), a federal agency created to help prevent companies in the financial industry, such as banks, credit card companies, and debt collection agencies, from abusing and deceiving consumers. In these complaints, consumers allege that Harris & Harris Ltd.:
- Repeatedly call their phone and allows it to ring continuously
- Refuse to listen to consumers when being told the account does not belong to them or that they have the wrong telephone number
- Continues to contact them after being asked in writing to stop
- Calls before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- Attempts to collect on debt that has been paid
- Fails to send consumers required notices
- Falsely imply that a consumer will be arrested if they do not pay a bill
- Impersonates law enforcement officers and/or government officials
- Calls consumers at their place of employment
- Uses automated calling systems in order to harass consumers
Many of these practices are FDCPA violations and some may violate other federal or state law.
If you feel that Harris & Harris Ltd. is using unfair, deceptive, or abusive practices in order to collect a debt from you, it is time to hold them accountable for their actions. Please contact our office for a free, no obligation consultation at 1-800-219-3577. We will also explain how to stop harassing phone calls.