The Law Office of Paul Mankin

Housing Code Violations FAQs

What are my rights as a renter?

You have the right to live in a unit that is safe, clean and free of defects. If your landlord is ignoring your requests for repairs, you may be able to take legal action. An experienced attorney will be able to help you determine how to handle your situation.

What should I do about bed bugs?

If you have an infestation of bed bugs, contact your landlord immediately. This goes for other insects such as cockroaches, as well. These can be significant problems that should be taken care of quickly. Keep on your landlord, and if they are not hiring an exterminator to remove the problem, consult with a lawyer.

Should I make repairs or take care of problems myself?

It is not your responsibility to fix problems in your rental unit. If you have multiple issues or need major repairs, you should contact your landlord. The financial burden of fixing problems does not fall on you.

How do I know if I have lead paint?

Use of lead paint is not allowed anymore, but older units often have lead paint. It can be hard to tell the difference, but your landlord should let you know if there is lead paint in your unit. Any deteriorating paint should be taken care of in case there is lead present.

Can my landlord retaliate?

Your landlord cannot take action against you if you need repairs done. You have the right to take legal action against a neglectful landlord without fear of retaliation.


At the Law Office of Paul Mankin, we work with clients in San Diego and Los Angeles on all types of habitability issues. You have rights under California law as a renter.

To get your questions answered, call us today at 800-654-9517 or email us for a free consultation.